Landlord Insurance - what it covers & why you should consider it - ACS Personal Insurance

Landlord Insurance - what it covers & why you should consider it


If you’ve worked hard to buy and maintain an investment property, the last thing you need is the stress and expense of damage or unpaid rent.  Like any property, a rental property should be insured.  But as a landlord you may have some additional risks that you ought to be aware of and protect yourself against to safeguard your assets and income.  

You may think that landlord insurance is an unnecessary cost, but having the right cover can save you thousands in the unfortunate event of an emergency.  It’s simply a matter of working out what your specific risks are, and finding the best insurance to cover you.  

The kinds of risks faced by landlords are all the usual ones faced by home owners, like fire, flood, storm damage and theft.  But landlords should also think about the possible losses caused by tenants such as rental default and damaged property.  Luckily all of these risks are insurable.

Some key risks to look for in landlord insurance cover are:

· Natural disasters like storm, fire, flood and earthquake. Note that some policies won’t cover particular types of flooding such as from rivers bursting their banks.

· Complete or partial destruction of the property.

· Public liability cover for costs associated with someone’s injury or death that is attributable to landlord’s negligence.

· Accidental or malicious damage caused by tenants and their guests, and theft of your property by your tenants.

· Loss of your income due to property damage that means you cannot lease out the premises, due to tenants defaulting on their rent, eviction, or due to tenant hardship (ie if a court releases your tenant from their obligations to pay rent due to illness, injury or other serious hardship).  Cover varies between insurers and may be capped, or might only start after a certain time period, so be sure to arrange cover that suits your needs.

· Legal costs if you have to take action against a tenant.  This type of cover may require you to pay an additional premium.

As with any other kind of insurance, the key thing is to make sure you’ve got the right level of cover for your needs and particular risk profile.  Don’t assume you’ll automatically be covered for all emergencies!

Familiarise yourself with your policy, and take time to review it regularly to make sure it really still is relevant to your own particular circumstances.  

Building vs Contents Insurance

It’s important to note that landlords, like other homeowners, should consider insuring contents, and not just the building itself. No, we’re not talking about the furniture or appliances within the property, but the carpets, kitchen interior, light fittings and curtains. These features are often the major upgrades and investments made by landlords, and greatly contribute to the earning potential of the property. It’s not worth personally risking replacement costs in the event of damage.  

Choosing insurance

When it comes to choosing landlord insurance, you should note that the cheapest insurance won’t always give you the best cover, so make sure you think about your particular needs and look closely at the policy.

If you’d like to find out more about Landlord Insurance through ACS, you can click here to begin an online quote process, explore your cover options and choose exactly what you need.

Showing 1 reaction

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.
  • evelyn guerrero
    commented 2016-04-25 20:43:47 +1000
    I’m really satisfied to find this site.I need to thank you only for this brilliant read!!I unquestionably loved each and every piece of it and likewise have you bookmarked to see new stuff on your site. I truly inspired with your writing ability and design of your web post.


get updates

ACN 062 448 122 I AFSL 247 388 | ABN 91 460 778 961 | © 2015 ACS Financial Pty Ltd

Ezicover insurance products are issued by Zurich Australia Limited (Zurich) ABN 92 000 010 195 AFSL 232510 of 5 Blue Street, North Sydney, NSW 2060. This information is of a general nature only and does not take into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider these factors and the relevant product disclosure statement (PDS), available here, which contains details of conditions, limits and exclusions of cover, before making a decision regarding the product. ACS Financial (ACN 062 448 122, AFS Licence No. 247 388) promotes this product and if you buy an Ezicover insurance policy, ACS Financial will receive a commission from Zurich of 20% (plus GST) of your insurance premium. This amount is paid by Zurich and is not an additional cost to you. Details of remuneration received by ACS Financial can be found in our Financial Services Guide.

ACS Financial ABN 91 460 778 961 (“ACS Financial”) has an agreement with Honan Insurance Group ABN 67 005 372 396 (“Honan”) for the distribution of general insurance products. ACS Financial is entitled to receive from Honan a commission for insurance policies issued pursuant to this agreement. General insurance products are issued by CGU Insurance Limited ABN 27 004 478 371 AFSL 237281 (“CGU”). Product disclosure statements for the CGU insurance products are available here: Home & Contents Accidental Damage; Home & Contents Listed Events; Home & Contents Fundamentals; Motor Vehicle; Landlords, Caravan, & Boat. You should consider the product disclosure statement before making a decision in regard to your insurance needs.

This website and web links have been prepared by ACS Financial Pty Ltd ACN 062 448 122, ASFL 247388 (ACSF) and is general information about ACSF’s introduced product offerings and services. The information contained within is given in summary form and does not purport to be complete. Information on this site, including any product pricing and financial information, should not be considered as advice or a recommendation to purchase/transact. It does not take into account your particular financial objectives, financial situation or business needs. Before acting on any information you should consider the appropriateness of the information having regard to your own circumstances and read the linked PDS. If there is any relevant subsequent offer we recommend you should seek independent financial advice.